START STRONG ASSESSMENT - FALL 2021
Testing Grades 4-8 ELA and Math; Grade 6 - Science
Tuesday September 28, 2021 - Grade 4 ELA & MATH
Wednesday September 29, 2021 - Grade 7 & 8 ELA & MATH
Thursday September 30, 2021 - Grade 5 & 6 ELA & MATH
Friday October 1, 2021 - Grade 6 SCIENCE
This assessment will fulfill the federal statewide general assessment requirements for the 2020-21 school year.
This does not replace the NJSLA Spring 2022 assessment.
The Start Strong Assessments are:
- Available to New Jersey school districts at no cost;
- Intended to provide an optional resource for in-class feedback and support;
- Based on prior-year(s) academic standards;
- Available in English Language Arts (ELA) grades 4-10, Mathematics grades 4-8, Algebra I, Geometry and Algebra II, and in Science grades 6, 9, and 12;
- Administered in approximately 45-60 minutes;
- Able to provide immediate results; and
- Available in English, Spanish, and Text to Speech (TTS).
Start Strong will be based on the prior year's NJ State Learning Standards.
Grade 4 will be assessed on grade 3 ELA & Math Learning Standards, grade 5 based on grade 4, etc...
Grade 6 will also be assessed on Grade 3-5 Science Standards.
Grade 8 math students, regardless if they are taking Algebra, will be adminstered the grade 8 math assessment which is based on grade 7 NJ State Learning Math Standards.
As noted in a NJDOE Memo, "It is important to note that the Start Strong Assessment does not assess all of the learning standards on the summative assessment and therefore does not include all of the same item types, such as constructed-response items. The Start Strong Assessment only includes machine-scored selected-response and technology-enhanced items."
The assessment is 45 - 60 minutes, one test per content
Testing window is September 13 - October 22, 2021
More detailed information about testing dates and schedules to come, stay tuned!