September 2020 Welcome to Design & Modeling (DM)
Design & Modeling (90 days)
The DM class utilizes Project Lead the Way (PLTW) modules in conjunction with Google Apps for Education. The PLTW course being taught is called Design and Modeling.
Students discover the design process and develop an understanding of the influence of creativity and innovation in their lives. They are then challenged and empowered to use and apply what they’ve learned throughout the unit to design a therapeutic toy for a child who has cerebral palsy.
PLTW DM is a pre-engineering course and an important aspect of the class is brainstorming and solving problems. Students will be performing Engineering Design Challenges. Due to social distancing, parents will be asked to help provide materials for students to perform Engineering Design Challenges. I am thinking about creating a sign-up sheet so that parents can help with challenge supplies and disinfectant supplies (Lysol spray, disinfectant wipes, etc.)
You are expected to arrive to class on time and prepared, whether you are in person or remotely attending class. Please be sure to have the following items every day:
- Your Chromebook
- Your Engineering Notebook
- Your folder/3-ring binder
- Pencil & Eraser
- inexpensive earbuds or headphones
- Your Creativity
- Your Enthusiasm
- All assignments are turned into OnCourse unless otherwise directed.
- If you do not turn in an assignment on time, it is YOUR responsibility to email Mrs. Neggia with a notification that the assignment has been turned in to OnCourse.
One of the most useful skills you can learn is touch typing. Learning how to type properly will increase your typing speed and accuracy leaving you with more time to do something else!
- Coming soon: your bi-weekly typing assignment schedule
- All typing is due on Monday (or 1st day of week) at 7 am.
- You should be breaking your old typing habits, and replacing them with proper typing technique (LEARN THE KEYS)
- You will have a bi-weekly keyboarding/typing assignment to improve your typing skills.
- Please be sure to follow the instructions in the typing program, and BREAK your bad typing habits, IMPROVE your typing technique, and BUILD new, good typing skills.
- You will have minimal homework, but please remember that work not completed in class automatically becomes homework.
Supplies that students will require for this class
- Engineering Notebook (will be provided by Mrs. Neggia)
- Mechanical pencil (sketches require a sharp point)
- A ruler that has both inches and centimeters
- Cutting tools
- Scotch tape
- Masking tape
- Craft items (craft sticks, construction paper, etc.)