Reading at Home:
How Families Can Help
- Read aloud to your children, no matter their age, every day.
- Alternate family members reading aloud with your children so that both male and female models are shared.
- Read (and write) often for real reasons to serve as a model for your children.
- Encourage children to select books by interest. When children are interested in the book's topic, they may be more excited to read!
- Discuss books with your children.
- Read to your children on long car trips or play books-on-cd for them to listen to.
- Set up a neighborhood or friendship reading circle where familes can get together to read and discuss their favorite books.
- Encourage your children to explore answers to questions by using informational books.