Each student is responsible for four book projects this year; one to three may be oral, and one to three may be written. You must complete at least one oral and at least one written. Tentative due dates are:
- Tuesday, October 15, 2019
- Tuesday, December 10, 2019
- Tuesday, February 18, 2020
- Tuesday, April 29, 2020
Regardless of the book project form you choose, you must include a brief summary of the book you read for independent reading. A good portion of the grade relies on two things: the inclusion of the following points in the summary (clearly identified) and how much time and effort went into the preparation of the report. Depending on which project you choose, the summary will be in either written form or oral form. While summarizing the book, you MUST include:
- A description of the main characters (physical appearance, age, personality, likes/dislikes, hobbies)
- An introduction of the story specifying the setting (place and time)
- Problems/conflicts faced and how they were resolved (not necessarily solved)
- Climax (where things may change directions, and the outcomes will lead to different results)
- Conclusion (how book ends)
- At least one theme (main idea, message, or unstated belief)
- Does this book raise any questions or make you wonder about anything?
- Could you relate to the characters or any of the events in the book?
- Was this book better or worse than others you have read? Give me particulars on what made the book better or worse.