TES uses Standards Based Grading. These are the Standards that your child will be taught this year. They will be scored using a scale of 1-4.
2-Partial mastery of the standard, can perform parts of the standard with assistance
1-little or no mastery of the standard even with assistance
- Apply grade level phonics and word analysis skills when decoding and encoding words.
- Read prose and poetry with accuracy and fluently to support comprehension.
Literature and Informational Text:
- Quote accurately from the text to support claims.
- Summarize and determine the theme or main idea using different strategies.
- Compare and contrast individuals, events, and ideas across texts.
- Determine the meaning of unknown words and phrases.
- Compare, contrast, and explain the structure of texts.
- Describe and analyze the point of view of a variety of texts.
- Compare, contrast, integrate, and reflect on topics and information presented in multiple texts.
Language and Writing:
- Write opinion pieces using support from facts, strong structure, logically ordered reason, information from texts, and linking words.
- Write informational pieces using strong structure, developing the topic using facts, details, quotations, and using linking and domain-specific words.
- Write narratives using strong structure, including Beginning-Middle-End, narrative techniques, concret and sensory details, and linking words.
- Develop and strengthen writing through revising, editing, or trying new approaches in a variety of tasks.
- Conduct short research projects using several sources.
- Use grammar effectively including prepostitions, interjections, conjunctions, and verb tense.
- Use capitalization, punctuation, and spelling effectively.
- Use Latin and Greek roots to uncover word meanings.
- Understand and interpret figurative language, word-relationships, and word nuances such as similes, metaphors, and idioms.
Speaking and Listening:
- Engage effectively in a range of collaborative discussions with divers partners on various topics.
- Summarize and report texts or information presented in different formats.
- Classify and describe the attributes of 2-D shapes.
- Create and graph ordered pairs using X and Y coordinates in the first quadrant.
Measurement and Data:
- Convert customary and metric units and solve real world problems.
- Represent and interpret data using line plots and fractions.
- Understand concepts of volume and relate volume to multiplication and to addition.
Numbers and Operations in Base Ten:
- Understand place value in terms of base 10.
- Read, write, compare, and round decimals.
- Multiply and divide using mulit-digit numbers and decimals to hundredths using both algorithms and modeling.
Numbers and Operations-Fractions:
- Add and subtract fractions with unlike denominators using both visual models and equations and benchmark fractions for estimation.
- Multiply and divide fractions through rescaling, visuals, and algorithms to solve real world problems.
Operations and Algebraic Thinking:
- Write and evaluate expressions using the order of operations.
- Create and identfiy relationships among data using ordered pairs.
- Demonstrates understanding of disciplinary core ideas.
- Asks questions based on observations to find more information.
- Participates in class investigations. Makes observations and collects data that can be used to answer a question or make comparisons.
- Records and shares scientific thoughts observations, and ideas in the form of pictures, drawings, and writing.
- Design or build a device that solves a specific problem.
- Demonstrates understanding of content, vocabulary, and processes.
- Interprets and uses visual materials (maps, charts, etc.).
- Communicates subject area knowledge through varied forms (writing, technology, answering).