My name is Joseph Hixon. I am one of the 5 APE teachers working in the Monroe City School System. This is my 21th year in education, my 14th with WHS and Monroe city. I serve WHS, MR, MJF, BJ and SHER. My overall goal is to help the students achieve their full potential with their gross motor skills. I emphasize lifetime skills and activities, improving and encouraging the skills the students will need to live a healthy and physically fit life. My short term goals include improving social interations through movement activites and having fun!!!
- Review parts of the body; i.e. head, mouth, ears, wrist, ankle, etc. "Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes"
- Review spacial movements: i.e. forward, backwards, left, right
- Contralateral movements; i.e. marching in place, crawling, riding a tricycle or bicycle, jumping jacks
- Ipsilateral movements; i.e touching left foot with left hand. Zombie Walk
- Dancing; i.e. any music that gets your child dancing, Just Dance on Youtube, Instructor lead music videos
- Stretching; Yoga videos on Youtube are great
- Strength/Endurance; push ups, sit ups, squats, lunges. You can use can goods as weights. Overhead press, curls, rows, etc. Steps can be used for footwork and leg strength/endurance. Running in place, jumping jacks, quick feet drills.
- Spacial Awareness; have your child gauge the distance between their body and the objects in there environment.
- Following Direction; "Simon Says" is a fun game.
- Using a blindfold, help your child navigate a room by using vocal commands.
- Balloons make great tools for hand/eye coordination. Smaller balloons for more challenges.
We are W.I.L.D.C.A.T.S proud: Working to Improve Learning and Discipline with Curriculums, Assessments, and Teaching Straegies that are evidence-based.