Electrical 1 & 2
The Electrical 1 & 2 program is based on the NCCER (National Center for Construction Education Research) Curriculum. This is a Competency based program; student will have to demonstrate hands on knowledge alone with book knowledge. Electrical 1 is part of the Electrician Statewide Pathway for Jump Start. Electrical 2 expands on the knowledge learned in Electrical 1. Electrician is a High-Demand Career; 5 stars on Louisiana Star Jobs https://laworks.net . Entry-level hourly wages for the state of Louisiana is $16.25, which is an annual wage of $33,805.
In the course students will be taught Electrician Duties, I a few of the duties are listed below.
- Read blueprints or technical diagrams
- Install and maintain wiring and lighting systems
- Inspect electrical components, such Light Switches and Receptacles
- Identify electrical problems with a variety of testing devices
- Repair or replace wiring, equipment, or fixtures using hand tools and power tools
- Follow state and local building regulations based on the National Electric Code
NCCER Core is a prerequisite for the class. Home based schools offer NCCER Core; see your school counselor for more information on scheduling Core, Electrical 1, and Electrical 2.
There is a Lab fee of $35.00 which pays for consumables such as conductors and conduit.
Almost every building has an electrical system that is installed during construction and maintained after that. Electricians do both installing and maintaining of electrical systems.