Happy October everyone! Here is a quick look at what we will be covering in second grade this month:
- Math: We will be covering chapters 2 and 3 on 3-digit addition and subtraction. Students have access to the Xtra Math website. I recommend spending a few minutes every day practicing math facts. A strong command of basic addition and subtraction facts creates a great foundation for students to build on.
- Writing: We have been discussing ways to make our stories more interesting. We created "dead words" posters to help us avoid over-used words and replace them with more specific, descriptive words. We will be discussing sensory details and how we can use our five senses to add detail to our narratives. Our goal is to make our reader feel like they are experiencing our stories with us! Students will be writing a fictional piece with a Halloween theme! Students will use what they learn about sensory details and word choice to design and describe a Halloween monster. Students will then read their description to a classmate who will draw the monster based on the written description. It is always a fun project and shows the students the importance of detail and word choice!
- Language Arts: We will continue with out daily read alouds and text discussions. This month we will be adding "Word Work" to our list of Daily 5 activities to work on. Students have also begun to use iPads to listen to stories on the Tumblebooks and Epic websites. We will begin small reading groups at the beginning of the month. Students will be meeting in small groups to read and discuss texts at their reading level. There may be times when students have short assignments to complete for group. Students will have plenty of time in class to complete these assignments. We will also begin our phonics lessons this month. The Fountas and Pinell program encourages students to identify patterns and similarities and differences between words as opposed to memorizing set lists. Students will have the opportunity to take part in sorts and games to help them identify word patterns.
- Science: We are working our way through our first unit on matter. We have discussed the three types of matter: solids, liquids, and gases. We have practiced describing the properties of different types of matter and how knowing these properties can help us determine the best way to use materials for different purposes. This month we will continue our investigations and experiments with matter.
- Social Studies: We will be wrapping up our first chapter on Communities this month. It is my hope to do a large group project based around the communities theme. Next we will move onto chapter 2: Our Government. Students will get a basic introduction to our country's government and how it works. This chapter culminates in a class presidential campaign. We will come up with presidential platforms, make speeches, and have a class vote to determine a winner. It's always a great time!
- Choose Love: The first week of the month is the "Week of Respect." Each day students will take part in a discussion of the different ingredients of the Choose Love program: Courage, Forgiveness, Gratitude, and Compassion. In class we will continue with out read alouds and group discussions. Additionally, our school counselor, Ms. Fernandez, will be coming in for bi-monthly lessons.
- Additional Announcements:
- Picture Day is Tuesday, October 5th
- Sk8 for Life Assembly on Friday, October 8th
- Halloween Parade is Friday, October 29th
Questions? Feel free to email me at [email protected]! :)