Welcome to the 2014-2015 School Year
Wossman High School
"Today's Choices Determine Tomorrow's Future"
Welcome to Mrs. Houston's Biology Class!!
For many of you, this course (Biology) will be the first of four units of science that are required for graduation. Therefore this class must not be taken lightly. As you work hard, I am looking forward to helping you reach your graduation goal.
Biology End of Course (EOC)
As you embark upon the new year you will encounter several labs, projects, science activities, and other assesments. One of the most important of these assessments is the Biology End of Course Test that will be taken in April or May of 2015. Passing this test is significant to meeting your graduation goal. Daily we will review over concepts that must be mastered in order to pass the Biology EOC, therefore staying on task, completing assignments, and being attentive is of utmost importance.
- Complete all bell ringers and participate in bell ringer discussions. Bell ringers are practice EOC questions.
- Complete all homework assignments and projects. Missed homework deducts points from your class participation grade (5 pts per missed homework)
- Study for tests. A study guide will be provided for each weekly assessment.
- Attend after-school tutoring if you are having problems with a concept. Five bonus points are awarded daily for attending Biology tutoring.
- Keep an organized notebook with all notes and handouts.
- Attend class daily.
- All students begin each nine weeks with a Class Participation grade of 100pts. Stay on task and be on your best behavior to keep these points.
The following topics will be studied this year:
- Cellular Structure and Functions
- Cellular Transport
- Structural and Functional Differences of DNA and RNA
- Protein Synthesis
- Mendelian Genetics
- Kingdoms and Life Cycles
- Cycles of Matter
- Flow of Energy in the Ecosystem
- Effects of Human Actions of the Ecosystem
- Populuation and Limiting Factors
- Cellular Energy
- Human Body
- Organism Behavior
- Personal and Community Health
- Human Immune System
- Science Inquiry