Book Battle Team Information 2020 - 2021
New List here.
[We are sorry to say this year's competition had to be cancelled.]
Book Battle Team 2019- out of 37 teams
- WE CAME IN 2nd Place!!!
To Make the Tryouts:
-Read All 15 Books by January independently.
- Have an overall 85% average
- 2 Do-overs for failing a test.
- Re-Read the book.
- Failing is below 80%.
-Hand in your AR report once all 15 books have been read.
This year the try out test will be timed as in the real competition. 20 seconds to answer a multiple choice question after the question is read twice. 45 questions total.
There will be a tie breaker test - if needed. 7 short answer questions.
The 6 students with the highest score will make the team. Students who make the team read the books carefully.
The Battle of the Books is a reading motivation and comprehension book‐related competition for students in grades 3 – 8 and is sponsored by The School District of Lee County with incentive programs provided by Media Services.
Diplomat Book Battle History:
2008: 1st Place Lee County
2009: 1st Place Lee County
2010: Finalist Lee County
2011: 4th Place Lee County
2012: 2nd Place Lee County
2013: 1st Place Lee County
2014: Finalist Lee County
2015: 3rd Place Lee County
2016: 2nd Place Lee County
2017: 1st Place Lee County
2018: 1st Place Lee County
2019: 2nd Place Lee County
2020: competition cancelled
Who will make this year's team?
Will it be you?
Information on individual Book Battle Books - also known as the SSYRA Books.
Want to make this coming year's team? Rules -
- Tryout date TBA - sometime in January
- Must Read ALL 15 books independently
- Pass the AR tests with and 85% average and with only 2 do-over.
- AR confirmation reports sent to media.
- Bring a pencil and your brain.
Want to make the Big Book Battle Party? By May 2021
- Read all 15 books independently by the May deadline and pass with an AR average of 85%.
- You may repeat 2 AR tests with classroom teacher approval.
- Teachers will send AR report verification - student's will receive a special party invitation.
- The party will be held in the media center. It is a red carpet affair and only open to those qualifying students.
- Every year the event gets bigger and better - thanks to our spirit coaches: Ms. Fournier & Ms. Womack
- Students are treated as celebrities and are rewarded with a memorable afternoon of fun.
Want to go on school news ?
- Every time you read one Book Battle Book and pass the AR test at 85%-
- You will get a Book Battle Sticker and can come on the news.
2020 - 2021 Book Battle Committee Members:
- Coaches: Ms. Harclerode & Ms. Roberts
- Spirit: Ms. Fournier & Ms. Womack
- Team Reviewers: Sessions begin for the team weekly starting in January 2021
- Ms. Walworth - Inkling
- Ms. Johnston - Caterpillar Summer
- Ms. A. Reed - Bernice Buttman, Model Citizen
- Ms. Irons - Beatrice Zinker, Upside Down Thinker
- Ms. Clark - Planet Earth is Blue
- Ms. Rodriguez - Olga and the Smelly Things from Nowhere
- Ms. N. Miller - Dragons in a Bag
- Ms. Tejeda - How I Became a Spy
- Ms. Mckeever - Strongheart: Wonder Dog of the Silver Screen
- Ms. Ziruolo - Attack of the Not-So- Virtual Monsters
- Ms. Ontaneda - Voyage of the Dogs
- Ms. Womack - Operation Frog Effect
- Ms. Fournier - Power Forward
- Ms. Bazan - The Unicorn in the Barn
- Ms. Roberts - Klawde: Evil Alien Warlord Cat
- Mock Practices: TBA in May 2021
- Competition: TBA in May 2021
- Book Battle Party: TBA May 2021