Dear Third Grader,
Welcome to a new school year! I hope you are as excited for this year as I am. This will be my second year in Third Grade and by the way, let me introduce myself, my name is Mrs. Somers! I am looking forward to seeing some familiar faces and new ones when we Zoom together! Let me tell you a bit about my time at Liberty Corner. When I first started 22 years ago, I taught Second Grade for 6 years and then moved to Kindergarten where I taught for 15 years. So, now I am in third grade again, as I start my 23nd year here. I really am looking forward to teaching Third Grade again this year. I truly enjoyed it last year!
I hope you have been enjoying your summer. My summer has been a great one. I spent lots of time in Ocean City with my family. I love spending time in my garden and biking on the beautiful Columbia Trail which is right in our town. I’ve also read many great books. And yes, as some as you may also know, I love cats!
Now, let me tell you about Third Grade. In Third Grade, we will be learning about exciting topics. In Language Arts, we will embark on an adventure with our reading and writing workshop programs! We will be exploring all types of genres while practicing our reading and writing skills. You will learn how to keep a writer’s notebook while enjoying so many wonderful books of your choice! We will also be involved with an author study of Roald Dahl. Our science units are captivating and include forces and interactions, life cycles and traits as well as weather and climate. This year in Math, we will learn about multiplication, geometry, measurement and more using our math program, GO MATH! Finally, in Social Studies we will learn about communities, including Bernards Township.
Enjoy the rest of your summer!
See you soon,
3rd Grade Supply List 2020-2021
- 2 binders, 3 ring, heavy duty with front pocket view, 1”, white
- 1 pack of pencil cap erasers, latex free, 12/pack
- 3 post-it note pads, 3” x 3”, yellow, 100 sheets/pad
- 2 pairs of scissors w/ point (3rd grade appropriate 5 inch.)
- 1 pencil box, plastic, 8.4” x 5.6” x 2.5”
- 2 dozen pencils, #2, Ticonderoga, Sharpened
- 6 Elmer’s glue Sticks, Elmer’s Washable, Dries Clear, .21 oz.
- 1 Box Crayola Crayons, 16 Ct.
- 1 Set Crayola Colored Pencils, 12 Ct.
- 2 Mead Composition Books, Marble cover, Wide Ruled, 100 sheets, Black
- 2 Notebooks, Spiral, wide ruled, 70 pages, 1 red and 1 blue
- 6 Expo Marker, Dry Erase, Chisel tip, Low Odor, Black
- 2 Scotch Tape Dispensers
- 1 pack of wide-ruled lined paper