Welcome to Kindergarten! Did you know that you have a super power? You can stay home and go to school at the same time! And… I just heard that you will be in my virtual classroom this year. Last year’s class had so much fun while they were learning at home and I’m sure you will too. I have to tell you, I can’t wait! We have many wonderful days ahead of us filled with learning and fun. In Kindergarten, we will learn new songs, draw, play, listen to stories, think like mathematicians and become readers & writers. You will become part of a caring community where you will develop strong character traits by listening to our terrific Character Education books.
I hope you’re all enjoying your summer. I spent my summer by the water! Sometimes it was with my daughter Jennifer’s family at their lake house. If I wasn’t there, I was in our home in Avalon swimming in the Ocean with my son Matthew and his wife. I had the best of both worlds! Charley came too but he hates water. Charley is my silly dog! Don’t worry. You will absolutely get to meet him. We had a few fun summer adventures together too.
Now that the summer vacation is coming to an end, I am preparing my classroom at home. I’m getting our virtual classroom ready for your terrific year in Kindergarten. Before we have our first day together, I would love take a few minutes to meet all of you on Wednesday, August 26th for our Kindergarten Zoom Meet and Greet. The link will come out very soon. See you then.
I am so excited that your child is in Kindergarten and will be learning with me this year. I would like to take the opportunity to let you know that I value your child’s social, emotional and academic development. Most importantly, I value each and every child as an individual. If there is anything that you would like to share with me about your child (i.e. interests, hobbies, likes, dislikes etc.), please feel free to send an email to email@example.com. I can remember when my daughter and then my son started Kindergarten, I had so many questions. I want to be sure to help ease any anxiety you may have with the information below. If you are like I was, you will have more questions but this will help start our year off smoothly. I look forward to meeting all of you and working with you. If you need to reach me at any time please send a note by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Important Kindergarten Information:
Please read carefully
- I would like you to think strongly about getting a backpack for your child. It isn’t absolutely necessary but wouldn’t it be fun? More importantly, it could also become your child’s place to keep important papers and other Kindergarten items. I suggest that your child have it nearby or on the back of his or her chair when we have class. It should be ready to go before our first Zoom of the morning begins.
- Have your child practice putting his/her things inside their backpack and zipping it up! This is a great way to practice independence. Organization is a great life-skill and it’s not too early to start!
- I suggest getting a pocket folder and allowing your child to keep important papers or finished work in the folder. This is good practice for now and will help prepare them for future grades at LCS
- Your child will need the following supplies for the beginning of the school year.
- 3 or more large Elmer’s glue sticks
- 1 small bottle of Elmer’s liquid glue
- 1 boxes of 24 Crayola crayons
- 1 or 2 boxes of 10 or 12 Crayola thin markers
- 1 pair of Fiskar children’s scissors
- 4 chisel tip dry erase markers
- 4 highlighter markers
- 1 pkg of watercolor paints
- Ø folder
- ·During the day, we will have time allotted for snack. Please be sure to have something small and nutritious ready that will satisfy the rumbling tummy of your Kindergartener. (Your child can keep it in their backpack!) I encourage healthy snacks as they will give us the energy that we need for the day rather than the up and down energy levels from sugary snacks.
Related Arts Schedule:
All of our specials will be from 11:05-11:35. I will be sending you a schedule so that you can keep it handy. Maybe on the Fridge?
- Due to food allergies, teachers don’t celebrating birthdays with food at Liberty Corner School. We can, however, celebrate them in our virtual classroom! Please attach a Birthday Mylar balloon to the back of your child’s chair on the day of his or her birthday. (Summer birthdays are celebrated in June.) Provide a special snack and we will sing and make your child feel awesome.
Morning Arrival in the virtual classroom:
- For the first few days of school, Kindergarten students will be focusing on getting to know me, one another and the tools we need to navigate learning on the computer. We will become a classroom family but it takes time.
I believe that the way we dress sometimes sets our attitude towards learning. Please do not allow your child to attend our virtual school in his or her pajamas. Comfy clothes are fine!
- Remember to be encouraging and positive to set the tone for your child’s day! (Your child should not be finishing breakfast or eating when school begins. Please put all toys away for later.) Your child will follow your lead. Let he or she know how proud you are of them and that they are ready for school.
- If your child is absent please notify the school nurse, Robin Youtkus by phone at (908) 204-2550 ext 104 or email email@example.com, the morning of your child’s absence. If this information changes you will be notified by the school.
- My monthly newsletters will be posted on my Oncourse Webpage for you to learn about the happenings of our classroom. Please use it as a discussion piece with your Kindergartener. I will also be providing you with information for the week on Seesaw.
Thanking you in advance for your cooperation. It is going to be a unique and terrific year!
Mrs. Cindy Mastrian