page contents

Dear Metuchen School District Students and Families,


My name is Samantha Rubin, and I am excited to be the new Student Assistance Counselor (SAC) for Metuchen School District. As the district SAC, I will be working with students in Moss School, Edgar Middle School, and Metuchen High School.  My role across all schools will be to assist students and their families with identifying and confronting barriers that impede on their personal life and academic performance.


What does a Student Assistance Counselor do?

The Student Assistance Counselor provides in-school assessment, crisis intervention, individual and group counseling, and referral sources for any student who may be experiencing personal, family, and/or peer difficulties. In addition, the SAC is also available to assist in identifying other issues which pose as barriers to student’s success including alcohol, nicotine, other drugs, and mental health issues.


Who can refer a student to the SAC?

A student can be referred to the SAC by a teacher, school administration, school counselor, parents, the student themselves, or another student. Any parent who feels as though their child could benefit from the program or would like more information should contact the SAC, child’s school counselor or a building administrator. A student may also be asked to participate in services as a result of violating the school’s drug and alcohol policy.


Is what a student reports to the SAC confidential?

All counseling services are confidential, unless an assessment indicates that there is a safety risk. This includes a student who is in danger of harming him or herself, harming someone else, or is being harmed by another individual.


How do I contact the SAC?

The best way to reach me is via email at Please do not leave any detailed information in the email. Once I receive the email, I will get back to you within 24 hours of receipt to further discuss concerns or answer any questions you may have. Students also have the availability to request an appointment to meet with me on their school website. This link is available on the left hand side of this page labeled "Request an Appintment" or on their school's counseling page.


When and where can I find the SAC at my school?

My schedule is as follows:

Monday, Wednesday, Friday – Metuchen High School, Room 139

Tuesday – Moss School and Edgar Middle School, Guidance Suite (alternating AM and PM weekly)

Thursday – Edgar Middle School, Guidance Suite