LABORATORY SAFETY PROCEDURES/RULES
1. Understand all written and verbal lab instructions before attempting any lab procedures. If in doubt, ask the instructor/look at the instructions. Do not modify or change lab procedures unless instructed to do so, follow instructions at all times.
2. Do not touch laboratory equipment until instructed to do so by the teacher.
3. Do not taste any chemicals, or put anything in your mouth in the laboratory.
4. Never eat, drink, or chew gum/mints in the laboratory center.
5. Inform instructor of any chemical spills immediately, and follow instructions for proper clean up immediately.
6. Never pour chemicals back into stock bottles.
7. Long hair/Long sleeves must be tied/rolled back when working in the lab.
8.Stay within your own laboratory station area at all times, unless instructed otherwise.
9.Observe proper use of, and do not interfere with, electrical outlets, water faucets, or fire extinguishers.
10. Test tubes, when heated, should be pointed so the open end is not aimed at anyone. Never look directly down into the test tube. Never directly smell any substance from a test tube (sweep instead). Always use protective heat resistant gloves to handle hot objects. Never reach directly over an open flame or steam.
11. Report any accident or breakage, however minor, to the teacher immediately.
12. Discard broken glass, laboratory materials and chemical waste as directed in the proper receptacles.
13. No running, throwing, pushing, or any other form of “fooling around” during the laboratory activity.
14. Nothing (chemicals or equipment) may be removed from the laboratory center.
15. Shoes that cover the entire foot must be worn at all times.
16. Wear all safety equipment (goggles, gloves, aprons, etc.) as directed by teacher.
17. Follow all guidelines regarding eye safety, including the wearing of safety goggles, in all lab activities in which any chemical or mechanical hazard exists. Contact lenses must be removed as directed by the teacher, and glasses should be worn instead.
18. Clean up laboratory equipment and laboratory center as directed by teacher (keep your station clean & replenish at the end).
19. Follow all new social distancing guidelines including: wearing a mask, staying 6 feet apart, washing hands with soap for 20seconds, use hand sanitizer, sneeze into a tissue or corner of your arm, feel sick stay home.