Maurepas School offers short-term individual and group counseling to students when the need arises. Students may be self-referred or referred by a parent/guardian or school staff member. Should it be determined by the school counselor that extensive services are necessary it will be the responsibility of the parent/guardian, with assistance from the counselor to arrange outside counseling or psychiatric services.
School counseling services are aimed at the more effective education and socialization of the student within the school community. In order to build trust and rapport with the student, the school counselor will keep information confidential with exclusions including, but not limited to:
* the client expresses intent to harm him/herself or someone else.
* there is a reasonable suspicion of abuse/neglect against a minor child, elderly person, or dependent adult,
* a court order is received directing the disclosure of information.
* the client intends to commit a felony or tries to coerce the counselor to commit a felony.
* collaboration with other professional colleagues in order to properly monitor the quality of services.
The counselor will make the student aware of these limits to confidentiality and will inform the student when sharing information with others. If you would like the counselor to share information with a third party, such as a community counselor, psychiatrist, social services worker, physician, you will need to sign an additional release of information form. You are encouraged to contact the counselor whenever you have a question, input, or concern. School counseling is considered a regular education service provided by the school and students may assent to participate in counseling. However, if you, the parent/ guardian, DO NOT want your child to participate in counseling services, please contact the school counselor to decline consent.
RESOURCES FOR SENIORS:
LELA Scholarship for Completing FAFSA: http://lela.org/completed_fafsa
Register for the Selective Service: https://www.sss.gov/Home/Registration
Create an account on TOPS Portal: https://www.osfa.la.gov/AwardSystem/