Lake Forest Charter School is a city-wide access school. Our mission is to provide a nurturing environment for children from diverse backgrounds that facilitates maximum student achievement through a rigorous, accelerated academic program which incorporates visual, cultural and creative arts, and will ultimately enhance each student’s ability to become a global, contributing citizen.
Note: This is a tentative syllabus and may be changed at any time!
6th Grade Math focus on four critical areas: (1) connecting ratio and rate to whole number multiplication and division and using concepts of ratio and rate to solve problems; (2) completing understanding of division of fractions and extending the notion of number to the system of rational numbers, which includes negative numbers; (3) writing, interpreting, and using expressions and equations; and (4) developing understanding of statistical thinking.
Students are to use previously learned mathematical skills for more challenging math concepts. In this course, students will learn vocabulary, concepts, and procedures necessary for upper-level algebra, statistics and geometry courses. Students will review the four basic fundamental operations. They will learn expressions and equations, number theory, fraction operations, ratios and percent, integers and rational numbers, and the coordinate plane. Geometry and measurement will also be taught to them, where they are to learn about different geometric figures and how to solve for circumference, area, perimeter, volume, and further.
6th Grade Math will be encouraging, full of enjoyment and I look forward to exciting classroom activities and engagement. I expect all students to use homework to practice math concepts. The more time you spend learning, understanding and practicing homework problems the higher your chances will be to receive a good grade. Remember, always do your best! Rise to the challenge! Live and Learn!
- Supplies: Paper, Pencil, Glue, Scissors, Notebook, and folder
- Class participation
- Ask questions
- Complete all homework assignments
- Always come to class prepared
- Dry Erase marker with eraser
6TH Grade major math strands are number sense and operations, algebra, geometry and spatial sense, measurement, and data analysis and probability. For sixth grade curriculum, math strands are serious lessons for the course.
- Ratios and Proportional Relationships
- Understand concept of ratio
- Understand the concept of a unit rate a/b associated with a ratio a: b with b ≠ 0
- Use ratio and rate reasoning to solve real-world and mathematical problems
- The Number System
- Apply and extend previous understandings of multiplication and division to divide fractions by fractions
- Compute fluently with multi-digit numbers and find common factors and multiples
- Apply and extend previous understandings of numbers to the system of rational numbers.
- Expressions and Equations
- Apply and extend previous understandings of arithmetic to algebraic expressions.
- Reason about and solve one-variable equations and inequalities.
- Represent and analyze quantitative relationships between dependent and independent variables.
- Solve real-world and mathematical problems involving area, surface area, and volume.
- Statistics and Probability
- Develop understanding of statistical variability
- Summarize and describe distributions