RC English II Syllabus
This English class will focus on enhancing your reading and writing skills. We will be reading a variety of literature including short stories, plays, poetry and novels to help you develop comprehension and interpretation skills. Various writing assignments will also be included throughout the year. These assignments will range from journal entries to five-paragraph essays.
- 1 inch 3-ring binder with 3 dividers & paper (to remain in classroom)
- Pencils, pens, highlighters
- Treat teachers, classmates, and all other individuals with RESPECT!
- Arrive on time and prepared for class with all cell phones kept away.
- Strive to do your best in every possible situation.
- Be willing to grow as a person!
Rewards & Incentives
Mrs. Gimbutas utilizes Class Dojo to monitor student behavior. The class with the highest percentage of good behavior at the end of the month will receive a class prize. In addition, the top 1-2 students in each class with the most points at the end of the month will receive individual prizes. These prizes will be voted on or selected from a list of options including, but not limited to homework passes, extra credit points, or even a little something sweet.
Procedures for Infractions - Points will also be deducted from Class Dojo - This will not only affect you, but will have a negative impact on the overall class average and could prevent your classmates from earning a class reward!
- Verbal warnings (1-2 points)
- Teacher lunch detention (3 points)
- Administrative Referral (4 points)
- Referrals will also be necessary for certain behaviors that may not include several warnings.
- Your English grade will be based on the following:
50% Primary – tests, large writing pieces, projects (6-7 items per semester)
40% Secondary – quizzes, short writing pieces (6-8 per semester)
10% Supportive – class/homework, participation (12-14 per semester)
Marking Periods Dates:
Semester I: 9/5/18-2/1/19
Semester II: 2/4/19-6/20/19
Mid Mark: 4/9/19
I am available during SMART lunch on B days for Enrichment and can also be available on other days by request. My goal is to have you leave my class at the end of the year more skilled and confident than when you walked in. I will do everything I can to help you learn, but you are in control of your own education. I need you to participate, to ask questions, and to let me know when you need help. Together, we can make this coming year a great success!
Mrs. Gimbutas utilizes Google Classroom in addition to her teacher website (accessible through the school website). Students and parents will be given access to the Google Classroom page. Class materials and important announcements will be found here in addition to several major class assignments, which will be completed within the Google Classroom page.
Mrs. Gimbutas may be reached by parents in the following ways:
- Email: email@example.com
- Instant messaging through Class Dojo parent accounts
- Short Story Unit
- “Everyday Use” by Alice Walker
- “The Monkey’s Paw” by W. W. Jacobs
- Assortment of technology-related articles
- Literary analysis essay
- Greek Drama
- Greek Theater
- Analytical Essay
- Shakespearean Drama
- Historical dramas
- Roman History
- The Tragedy of Julius Caesar
- Argumentative Essay
- The Novel
- Technology and its impact on society
- Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
- Dystopian Project
- Research Paper