questions of students and parents.
- When does my child come to the resource room for instruction?
- What is the purpose of nightly reading?
- How do I schedule a parent-teacher conference in November and April?
- What should a parent do if a child is struggling with homework?
- How long should homework take to complete?
1. When does my child come to the resource room for instruction?
A student's time in the resource room is based on a student's
individualized education plan (I.E.P.). If a student receives
replacement instruction, he/she will come to the resource room
when his/her homeroom teacher is teaching that subject.
2. What is the purpose of nightly reading?
Monday through Thursday, students choose a book to take home.
Sometimes students will read the entire book to their parents.
They will practice reading with fluency and applying valuable
reading strategies learned in class. Other times students will
partner read with a parent (the parent and child take turns
reading a page). This enables students to again practice reading
fluently and applying reading strategies. This also enables
students to hear their parents model reading fluency and reading
with expression. Sometimes students are given the opportunity to
pick a book based on interest. It is very important for students
to hear books being read aloud. They hear a parent model reading
fluency, while learning new vocabulary and basic story structure.
3. How do I schedule a parent-teacher conference in November and April?
Your November and April parent-teacher conferences are scheduled
through your child's homeroom teacher. I will attend the
assigned conference with you and your child's homeroom teacher
unless alternate arrangements have been made.
4. What should a parent do if a child is struggling with homework?
Homework is a reinforcement of skills taught in school. If your
child appears to be struggling, he or she may need additional
instruction of that skill. Please stop that homework assignment
and write a note stating your child was having difficulty.
5. How long should homework take to complete?
Homework should not take longer than a half hour. After 30
minutes, please stop working, and write me a note stating which
assignment was challenging.