Questions To Ask Your Child When Reading
(just ask a few with each reading)
1. Where and when does the story take place (the setting)?
2. Who are the characters in the story; which is the main character?
3. Who is the protagonist? Who is the antagonist?
4. Is the main character a dynamic (changing) character? Why? Who are the static (unchanging) characters?
5. Can you name 5 character traits of the main character?
6. What was the problem in the story?
7. How was the problem solved?
8. What happened at the beginning, middle, and end of the story? Can you do a five-finger retell?
9. What was your favorite part of the story and why?
10. Did you like the story? Please explain why.
11. What does the story make you think of, or what personal connection did you have (a text-to-self connection)? Try to make a deep connection.
12. Does the story remind you of another story you have read (a text-to-text connection)?
13. Does the story remind you of a show or movie that you've seen (text-to-media connection)?
14. Does the story remind you of something that is happening in the news (text-to-world connection)?
15. While reading, stop and make predictions. Ask yourself, what do you think will happen in this book?
16. What questions did you ask yourself throughout the story?
17. What would you do if you were the main character?
18. If there was a choice in the story, do you think the character made the right choice?
19. Can you identify the theme of the story?
20. What is the main idea? Can you name three supporting details?
21. What did you learn from the story?