Look at the Pictures!
* Look at the pictures for clues to help figure out the word.
"S-t-r-e-t-c-h" it out!
* Stretch the word out slowly.
* Put the sounds together to figure out the word.
Skip it, Skip it
* Skip the word SKIP it, SKIP it.
Read to the end of the sentence.
*Hop back and READ it, READ it.
Flip the Vowel Sound!
* Try the other vowel sound if it doesn't sound right.
* Flip a short sound into a long sound or a long sound into a short sound.
LIPS THE FISH
Get Your Lips Ready
* Say the first few sounds of the word out loud.
*Read to the end of the sentence and say the sounds again.
Chunk the Word!
* Look for a "chunk" that you know (-ing, -and, -art, -old, etc.)
* Look for a word part (be-, -er, etc.)
Try it Again!
* Try to read the sentence again.
* Try a word that makes sense.
Ask for Help!
* After you have tried all of the other strategies, ask for help.